Ending a Civil Partnership

Separating from your partner is a difficult and emotional time. Our team of experienced civil partnership dissolution solicitors can offer support and guidance throughout the process.

In order to end a civil partnership, one of the civil partners must make an application to the court for a dissolution order. These proceedings cannot start until one year after the civil partnership was registered.

Under the Civil Partnership Act, there is only one ground for dissolving a civil partnership, which is the irretrievable breakdown of the relationship. There has to be evidence of this from one of the following reasons:

  • Unreasonable behaviour;
  • Separation for 2 years with the consent of the other civil partner;
  • Desertion for 2 years;
  • Separation for 5 years.

The dissolution proceedings then continue in the same way as a traditional divorce. Once they have started, either party to the civil partnership is entitled to apply for financial provision which can include maintenance, a lump sum, the transfer of a property, a pension share or the division of other assets in sole or joint names.

For further enquiries, please contact:

Victoria Baker

Tel: 01489 785737

Email: vbaker@driverbelcher.co.uk


For further information or to speak to one of our experts, please call us on: